Friday, September 10, 2010

A Score for Maggie's Birthday, the story revieled.

I told you I'd give you the details of how I found Maggie's new chair 
and how much of score it was,
well her Birthday has come and gone, so here goes...
 
I had been thinking about getting Maggie a little chair for the living room for some time, you know something her size so she could lounge with the rest of the family when we are in the room since she's not quite big enough to get up onto the couches or larger chairs yet.  About 3 and a half weeks ago I decided to try and find one.  I was originally searching for one of those foam chairs that are covered in a soft fabric, they usually have some type of character on them like Princesses or Fairies, they even have characters for boys, but I just wasn't finding anything.  AND unfortunately earlier in August I'd passed up a couple opportunities when the chair was just an idea, not a decision.  :O(  
I searched Craigslist every day, too many times to count.  Checked the chairs out at regular retail stores, but didn't want to pay the $30 price tag, and finally last week decided to go around to a bunch of resale and discount stores to see if I could find one.  After two hours of searching I had no luck until I came to the last store on my list.  I started around the left side of the store making my way around the back while I searched, rounded the corner and there was a foam chair...in somebody elses hands.  SMH  It was the only one in the store and come to find out, was just put out that afternoon.  I stayed for awhile hoping the people would put it back, but they didn't and left with their $4.99 foam chair purchase.  I was SO BUMMED!  It'd just missed getting what I'd been looking for by mere minutes!!!  SO FRUSTRATING!!!
On September 1st, since I wasn't having much luck on my own, I decided to submit a request on Craigslist for a little kids chair of some kind.  Almost immediately I got a response from a lady who didn't have a chair, but did have information on a place that she had gotten a chair for her son for much cheaper than regular store prices.  I thanked her for her info, Mapquested the place with the intention of checking it out if nobody else got back to me by the weekend or we didn't find one at the Mile High Flea Market we were going to head on Saturday.
Saturday, The Mile High Flea Market was busy!  I really had no other agenda for being there other than to find a chair for Maggie and letting the kids ride on the street carnival rides they like so much, so our trip around the shops was quick and unfortunately uneventful!  They just didn't have what I was looking for!  So, we headed off to the place the lady had told me about, Denver Overstock Freight.
We headed toward our destination and I ended up taking the wrong exit, so we took about a 10 mile detour.  Finally back on the right road we arrived where we thought the place was, but driving down the road there wasn't anything around really, just a dead end and a fenced sale yard.  Backtracking we followed a tattered sign blowing in the wind past a run down brick warehouse and finally saw some small yellow commercial signs on stakes pointing towards the rundown warehouse.  We parked in front of one of the signs.  Looking around we were really apprehensive, the place was rather scary, it was really run down and the signs were pointing to the basement. Jacob went in to check the place out for us.  Several long minutes later he came out and motioned for us to come in.  We all unloaded from the van and headed down the steep crumbling stairs to the basement.  Going through the large double rusted steel doors, of which only one was open, we entered a long corridor shrouded in almost complete darkness expect for the light coming in from outside.  As we traversed the hallway we felt a bit hesitant, furniture, fixtures, and other odds and ends lay broken and neglected along the walls.  All were covered in years of dust and cobwebs.  The uneven floor tripped us up a few times, but we continued on into a lit room.  The room was full of all sorts of other odds and ends, lots of boxes and furniture of all kinds.  Then we saw all the little chairs.  There were probably 2 or 3 dozen little rockers and other stationary chairs on the floor.  Cars were the first we spotted, then princess, fairies, pooh bear, and a little stationary butterfly chair.  We looked them over a bit, then Jacob and the kids went off to explore while I decided.  The salesman was near by so I asked him how much the little rockers were.  He said he'd let me have one for $20.  That was about $10 over my price range, so I kept looking.  Maggie and I went over to check out the little stationary butterfly chair.  By then Jacob and the kids were back, I told him about the other chairs being $20 and that I hadn't asked about the butterfly one yet, so Jacob asked.  The salesman came over and gave the chair a good look over, he said he'd let us have it for $10 cause it was soiled, then he walked off to do some other work.  Jacob whispered to me, "I like the $10 chair." We looked around a bit more, even asked about these nice cushioned storage chests that they had.  In the end we decided to just get the little stationary butterfly chair for $10!
The cool thing about it is that the chair we bought, if bought in a regular retail store (like Toys/Babies R Us) costs at least $69.99.  So it was a total score or only $10!!!  
When we got back home I sent an e-mail to the lady who had given me the information originally and thanked her again for helping us find such a great bargain!  
So if you're ever looking for furniture in Denver, check out Denver Overstock Warehouse.  Despite their location it's a great place to shop for excellent bargains!  :O)
 
Here's a picture of Maggie's new chair!

Maggie in her new chair playing with her laptop.


No comments: